Building on 18 years of proven field performance, RSI’s signature W-Beam terminal is now MASH TL-3 and TL-2 compliant!
How the MSKT Functions
RSI’s new MSKT (MASH-compliant Sequential Kinking Terminal) is an energy-absorbing tangent terminal that is MASH TL-3 compliant.
The MSKT is 50′-0″ long and has 8 posts spaced at 6′-3″ centers. During head-on impacts, the MSKT head slides over the W-beam guardrail. The rail is sequentially kinked as it moves through the impact head. The kinked guardrail exits the head and the vehicle is brought to a controlled stop.
This is the same technology that has proven to be very effective with excellent field performance seen in the NCHRP 350 SKT. When impacted along the side within the length-of-need, the MSKT functions like guardrail. The errant vehicle is contained and redirected.
The MSKT’s impact head can be used on existing in-place NCHRP 350 SKT systems for maintenance repairs. These systems will need to be maintained for many years to come. By being able to use the MSKT impact head for maintenance of both existing NCHRP 350 systems and new MASH installations, only the MSKT impact head will need to be inventoried. Please note, using a MSKT impact head on an older system does not make that system MASH compliant.
In addition, all of the W-Beam and the cable anchor bracket, cable, and some of the posts are the same for the MSKT MASH system and the NCHRP 350 SKT system.
Benefits and Features
- MASH TL-3 and TL-2 compliant
- Uses the same proven sequential kinking technology used in the NCHRP 350 SKT.
- Allowable rail heights of 30″ to 32″
- Length of Need point still at post #3 (12′ 6″ downstream)
- Still has all posts spaced at 6′ 3″ centers
- Designers have the same footprint to work with as the NCHRP 350 SKT
- Contractors have the same ease of installation to work with
- DOT maintenance crews have the same familiar parts to work with
Manual and Information
MSKT Product Information Sheet
11/15/2017 SKT MSKT Impact Head Notification Letter
6/10/2016 CC-126 MSKT FHWA Letter
1/24/2017 CC-126A MSKT 12" Blocks
12/27/2016 CC-126C MSKT Wood Post
1/24/2017 CC-126E MSKT 2' Offset
12/27/2016 CC-126F MSKT Powder Coated
10/3/2016 CC-130 MSKT Head on 350 Systems