The SKT (Sequential Kinking Terminal) is an energy absorbing tangent terminal.
The SKT is 50′-0″ long and has 8 breakaway posts. NCHRP-350 APPROVED!
During head-on impacts, the SKT head slides over the W-Beam guardrail. The rail is sequentially kinked or bent as it moves through the head absorbing energy. The kinked guardrail exits the head safely and the vehicle is brought to a controlled stop. When impacted along the side within the length-of-need, the SKT functions like guardrail. The errant vehicle is safely redirected back toward tests original travel path.
Post options include steel posts or timber posts.
Timber post options include: Type I (2 tubes), Type II (4 tubes), or Type III (8 tubes).
The MSKT’s impact head can be used on existing in-place NCHRP 350 SKT systems for maintenance repairs. These systems will need to be maintained for many years to come. By being able to use the MSKT impact head for maintenance of both existing NCHRP 350 systems and new MASH installations, only the MSKT impact head will need to be inventoried. Please note, using a MSKT impact head on an older system does not make that system MASH compliant.
Benefits and Features
- Uses proven sequential kinking technology.
- Uses the same MSKT Impact head found on the MASH-MSKT system
- Available for both 28" and 31" rail heights.
- Steel of timber post options
- Has all posts spaced at 6′ 3″ centers
- DOT maintenance crews have the same familiar parts to work with
- Contractors have the same ease of installation to work with
- NCHRP 350 tested to level 2 and 3 speeds